As I sat in the Newark airport en route to Spain to visit my baby sister, I skeptically opened my roommate's copy of Love in the Time of Cholera. Perpetually jealous of her collection of classic novels, I had asked her to select a few books for me to take on my two week trip. Unfortunately I only managed to finish twelve pages before my parents' flight from Memphis landed, but in those few pages I was greeted by members of my long lost lexicon that kindled in me a range of emotion that I could have scarcely anticipated. It seemed as though the words on the page were jumping out of my memory and back into my stream of consciousness. And what a reunion it was.
In preparation for those pesky college admission exams several years ago, my school distributed a Lexicon for Logophiles to each girl in the Junior class. Compiled by the legend herself, Patricia Newberry, this treasure chest of words represented nothing more than burdensome busywork to many of my classmates. As we spent weeks memorizing this intricate collection of tragically underused verbiage, I however fell in love with the subtle beauty of language.
Fast forward seven years and I find myself cheating on my first love with numbers. Although I filled my high school schedule with AP English and History classes, purposefully selected a liberal arts college and pursued a major that encouraged me to read, write and speak, I somehow stumbled into a career in public accounting. I find this turn of events terribly ironic due to the fact that I painfully struggled through my finance and economics classes, always preferring to communicate through words rather than numbers. Only through my affair with financial statements have I rediscovered my love for words. And in response to my reunion with my first love, I am challenging myself to write and think and process outside of my head and onto the Internet. How trendy of me. I am setting no boundaries and choosing no theme, only pressing myself to further explore my own thoughts and sprinkle them with adverbs and adjectives that I vow never to forget again.
No comments:
Post a Comment